Do you know the DV RMO60E Protective Earth Resistance Meter ?
Discover the DV POWER RMO60E
The DV Power RMO60E is the equipment of choice when it comes to testing an equipment’s protective bonding.
This is in line with the 61010-1 IEC 2001 standard which has been put in place with regards to protective earth resistance measurements.
This standard specifies the requirements expected of plug connected equipments and also for permanently connected equipments.
According to the 61010-1 IEC 2001 standard, it is expected that:
- The protective earth resistance rating or value should not be more than 0.1 Ω. Also, the voltage rating or value should not be in excess of 10V and above. This voltage 10V cap applies to the potential difference between the terminal of the protective conductor end and the conductive accessible parts requiring a protective bonding.
- A current is applied for 1 minute across both ends, that is, the terminal of the protective conductor end and the conductive accessible parts requiring a protective bonding. After which the voltage between them is measured or by calculating the impedance between the two ends.
- The test current being applied between the two ends should be 25A and higher. Also, the test current could be twice the rated current value for equipments that are plug connected. As for equipments that are permanently connected, an acceptable test current value should be twice that of the overcurrent protection.
Considering these two choices of tests for conformity, the RMO60E can be seen as an adequate tool for performing this test.
By using a current value up to 60A, the flexibility of the RMO60E to run in Contin Mode (Continuous Operation) means a test current can be run through for 1 minute or more. Therefore, this gives the user the ability to ascertain the condition of the equipment’s grounding.
Also, the RMO60E has a full load voltage of 12V which makes it suitable to perform this test accurately and obtain reliable results.
When performing the test, the RMO60E generates a DC current with test ramps that can be regulated automatically.
Whilst the grounding test is ongoing, the current is increased and decreased automatically via the RMO60E and at the instances of increasing and decreasing current, measurements are taken.
The reason for this is to eradicate magnetic transients. Immediately the test current has been set, the automatic test procedure is started once the Ω-button is pressed.
Asides performing test procedures, the RMO60E is capable of storing data measurements of up to 500 tests.
The intelligence of the RMO60E comes to the fore as all measurements made are date and time stamped for easy recalling and access.
Also, the RMO60E allows for the protective grounding test to be done using a DV-win software on a PC with the results obtained via a USB connection between the RMO60E and the PC.
In addition to this, the data can be tabulated using an Excel spreadsheet or illustrated graphically or diagrammatically when generating a report.
For the safety of the RMO60E itself when in operation, the set has inbuilt protection against thermal build-up and overcurrent. Also, it has the capability to eliminate/filter out both electromagnetic and electrostatic interferences when working in high voltage electric fields.
Which Application for the DV POWER RMO60E?
The basic application of the RMO60E is the measurement of an equipment’s protective earth resistance.
Also, it has usefulness in tests involving:
- Cable splices
- High, middle and low voltage disconnecting switches
- Welding joints
- High, middle and low voltage circuits
- High current bus bar joints
What are the Output Ratings of the RMO60E?
The full output obtainable from the RMO60E at 230 V or 115 V Mains supply is:
Supply Voltage Output Current Full Load Voltage
230 V AC 60 A DC smoothed 12,0 V DC
115 V AC 60 A DC smoothed 12,0 V DC
Output current is filtered and has a ripple of less than 1 %.
Mains power supply
- Connection according to IEC/EN60320-1; C320
- Mains supply: 90 V – 264 V AC
- Frequency: 50 / 60 Hz
- 12 A / 250 V, type F
- Test current 10 A – 60 A DC
- Full Load Voltage 12,0 V DC at 60 A (At 230 V of supply voltage)
- Resistance range 100,0 µΩ – 999,9 mΩ
- Resolution: 100 mW – 999,9mW 0,1 µΩ
1,000 mW – 9,999 mW 1,0 µΩ
10,00 mW – 99,99 mW 10 µΩ
100,0 mW – 999,9 mW 0,1 mΩ
- Typical accuracy ± (0,1 % rdg + 0,1 % FS)
- LCD screen 20 characters by 4 lines; LCD display with backlight, visible in bright sunlight
- RMO60E is equipped with an USB port (optional: RS232) to connect to an external computer
Test Result Storage
- RMO60E can store up to 500 measurements
- Operating temperature: -10 ºC – + 55 ºC / 14 ºF – +131 ºF
- Storage & transportation: -40 ºC – + 70ºC / -40 ºF – +158 ºF
- Humidity 5 % – 95 % relative humidity, non condensing
- Installation/overvoltage category II
- Pollution degree 2
Dimensions and weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 198 mm x 255 mm x 380 mm
7,8 in x 10 in x 15 in
Weight: 7,5 kg/16,5 lb
- European standards EN 61010-1
- International standards IEC 61010-1
CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 61010-1, 2nd edition, including Amendment 1
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
- CE conformity EMC standard 89/336/EEC
- Emission EN 50081-2, EN 61000-3-2/3
- Interference Immunity EN 50082-2